Glossary of Terms
The worlds of scientific and high performance computing are full of technical
jargon that can seem daunting to newcomers. This glossary attempts to explain
some of the most common terms as quickly as possible.
- ‘High Performance Computing’. The exact definition of this term is
sometimes a subject of great debate but for the purposes of our
services you can think of it as ‘Anything that requires more resources
than a typical high-spec desktop or laptop PC’.
- Acronymn for Graphics Processing Unit.
- Acronymn for Sun Grid Engine.
- Sun Grid Engine
- The Sun Grid Engine is the software that controls and allocates
resources on the system. There are many variants of ‘Sun Grid Engine’
in use worldwide and the variant in use at Sheffield is the
Son of Grid Engine
- Wallclock time
- The actual time taken to complete a job as measured by a clock on the
wall or your wristwatch.